Before I go into the reactions, let me start off with the most important tip.
1) How to avoid skin peeling on your fingers?
Some of you have asked me about peeling fingers after you have used a cotton pad with Skinlycious Anti-Acne Solution. It will happen because Anti-Acne Solution is an exfoliant, meaning it works by speeding up skin cell turnover and causes peeling for some. To avoid that, you can use a cotton bud. But if you are like me, who prefers the cotton pad, this is what you can do.
Take the four corners of the cotton pad and pinch it together. It will look something like the picture. Drip the Anti-Acne Solution on the flat top part of the cotton pad. Spread it on your acne/pimples/whiteheads/blackheads and even those marks left when your acne is healing.
After using on one side of the face, you can inverse/flip it over and use it on the other side of your face. This helps to minimise bacteria spreading too.
This way, the solution does not comes into contact with your fingers and thus will not cause your fingers’ skin to peel.
2) How to store your Anti-Acne Solution?
3) What are some of the normal reactions you might experience when you first use Anti-Acne Solution? And how you can overcome them.
a) Slight stinging/biting sensation
– For some users, there might be some slight biting sensation when you first started using it, especially on areas where your skin is broken, e.g. an acne that is oozing pus.
– You can overcome the biting sensation by quickly applying hydrator serum on your skin. It helps to remove the biting sensation.
b) Peeling of skin
– Our main ingredient is salicylic acid. Salicylic acid helps skin cells turn over at a faster rate, thus some people might experience peeling of the skin. Initially, it might be visible peeling but after a longer usage, you will not experience visible peeling but instead, micro-peeling occurs.
– If you think that the peeling is excessive, you can cut down to once a day at night instead of using it twice a day. Then after visible peeling has stopped, you can slowly increase to twice a day on alternate days and then after which increase to every day twice a day.
c) More pimples/acne initially
– Some people might experience more outbreak. This purging phase typically last about 7-21 days. Salicylic acid is oil-soluble. It exfoliates not only on the surface of skin, but also inside the pore lining. This can result in bringing pimples, that were forming before you started using Anti-Acne Solution, to the surface. The outbreak you see would have shown up eventually, or simply would have remained deep in the pore, keeping it clogged and enlarged.
– If you can bear with it, bear with it. If not, we suggest you cut down on Anti-Acne Solution to once a day usage at night and continue to use Step 1(Anti-Acne Wash) and Step 3(Hydrator Serum) twice daily. For any big acne, hold the cotton pad longer on the acne so that more is absorbed. Give this a try for another couple of weeks before deciding whether or not it’s suitable for you. If it seems to be too much for your skin, decrease the frequency of use of the Anti-Acne Solution(once every other day). It’s highly likely that the “purging effect” is only temporary, and that you’ll begin seeing smoother, clearer skin.
– If it’s more than 21 days and you are still having more outbreak that you initially had before using the product, stop using.
4) What’s NOT a normal reaction?
a) Experiencing Itch
b) Red spots that are not acne
If you experience the above, you may be allergic to salicylic acid. If you are allergic to aspirin, you have a higher chance of being allergic to salicylic acid.
If you think you might have a chance of being allergic to salicylic acid, you can do a patch test first. Just test it on a small area of acne skin and observe.
You should stop using Anti-Acne Solution and consult a doctor if necessary if you are experience the abnormal reactions.
5) Some people have their acne cleared and only use the anti-acne solution once in a while when they have the occasional acne. After storage for a longer period or if you do not cap it tightly, this is what you may see.
a) Some crystals forming in the bottle. It’s normal and you can slow down the formation of crystals by shaking the bottle every now and then instead of letting the solution sit there. With our new bottle, crystallisation is less of an issue now. The crystal formation does not lead to significant decrease in efficacy of the Anti-Acne Solution. You can still continue to use the solution. The dripper should prevent crystals from landing on your cotton pad/bud.
b) Darkening of the solution from clear to pale yellowish-brown. This is normal as resorcinol will discolour after a certain period. However, this does not affect the efficacy of the Anti-Acne Solution.
c) Liquid level of the solution dropping even though you didn’t use it. Again, this is normal. This is because our product contains alcohol and alcohol vapourises very easily. So, make sure that you cap on the stopper and screw the cap tight on your bottle to minimise evaporisation. With our new bottle packaging, evaporation is pretty minimal.
And if you have questions, feel free to email us at email@example.com.
About the Author : Jasmine Kang
Founder of Skinlycious – a one stop skin care solution for acne and acne-prone skin. A science geek, who has struggled with acne for 14 long years. Armed with decades of acne-fighting experience and bioscience / pharmaceutical knowledge, she seeks to find solution for her own acne-prone skin. She also takes immense joy in helping people regain confidence by solving their acne woes. Her secret ambition is to rid the world of irritating acne.